Negotiating & Influencing Skills
- Any employee or manager who is required to influence, persuade, negotiate, and/or achieve consensus among diverse stakeholders and parties.
- Applicable where individual wishes to achieve agreement and consensus among differing perspectives and needs.
- Relevant for negotiating with both internal and external constituents.
Duration: Two Days
Methodology for Delivery: Highly interactive and experiential using a variety of cases, exercises, role plays, small problem solving groups, dialogue and practice. Flip charts, brief video, small table groups. Based on adult learning principles.
Participants will learn:
- Learn a variety of tools, as well as a six part model to more effectively influence and negotiate with others;
- Obtain a framework for gaining consensus and commitment;
- Gain insight into one’s own negotiating and influencing style, as well as how to deal with typical approaches of others;
- Learn a Strategic Influencing model when having to deliver “difficult” news that needs understanding and “buy-in”
- Learn strategies for overcoming resistance to new initiatives and goals;
- Learn how to prevent the escalation of conflict during negotiations;
- Apply skills to real workplace influencing and negotiating challenges
- Enhanced knowledge of key elements contributing to influencing and negotiating effectiveness
- Knowledge and practice negotiating contentious issues using a 6-step negotiating model
- Insight into one’s preferred influencing approach, including how to flex one’s style appropriately to achieve required outcomes
- Practice in using a collaborative (win-win) approach to achieve desired outcomes for all parties
- Techniques in moving parties from resistance or compliance to commitment
- Increased awareness of one’s impact on others and confidence in new ways to influence others